May 31, 2017

to house hunt, or not to house hunt

I feel like there more going on now than there was a month ago. Aren't things supposed to get more relaxed in the summer? I'm planning some small school activities, and we'll be working our way through a list of hikes, playgrounds and parks in the Denver area. I'm hoping to keep things really simple. We did splurge and get family passes to Elitch Gardens, the theme/water park in Denver.

Ben's work is going well. He is applying for the Masters program through the Air Force again this year, so hopefully we'll hear back in the fall. He knows why his application last year was never sent in (and who it got stuck with), so he's keeping better watch this time around. He also told me he was notified of us being on a mandatory moving list. It's kind of like the "hey-you haven't-moved-in-a-long-time-it's-your-turn" list. Ben's assignment is finishing up in the next year, and he'll need another job to do. It would probably be at LA Air Force Base. His command is located there, so that would make the most sense. I looked at the houses on base, and it's really close to the beach. So absolutely terrible, of course.🌴 But I really don't want to pay LA house prices, YIKES! 


These are the houses at Wright-Paterson in Dayton, OH. Where we would go if Ben got into the school there.


So either way, there's a 90% chance we'll be moving by June 2018. I've loved Denver, but I like packing, moving, and unpacking. I love exploring a new place. I wouldn't mind LA because it's warm, and I've hated the Colorado winters. But again, those housing prices! Dayton seems like a better financial option and I think just all around better for our family. There is also a chance Ben could be wrong about LA and we could go somewhere completely unexpected. Denver was not on our radar at all when we found out we'd be moving here. I don't want to get too excited about a particular location, because that will jinx it. This has just been in the back of my mind for a few weeks. 

3 comments:

  1. Your post went the opposite direction of where I thought it would! I thought you were considering whether or buy a house in Denver, presumably because you thought you might be staying for a while. :-)

    Sounds fun either way. I'm MUCH more likely to visit you in LA, not because of the beach but because of the fares/travel options. So that's my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My vote too. How many plane changes to get to Dayton?
    Wouldn't your housing allowance go up to live in LA? I think you would love living by the beach for a few yrs. Weatherwise, I think you'd see fog at the coast when the inland heats up, with pleasant weather most of the yr. I looked at Ft. MacArthur on google earth, and can't figure out where those houses are. It looks like mostly apts ande duplexes, with what's probably officer housing. I don't see any regular sized housing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So the link above is for the base housing. The base Ben would work at is really close to the airport, and there is no housing there, but it's an hour away. It's close to Trump National Golf Course ;) Our housing allowance would go up, but my goal is always to find something under the allowance. I don't think I'd be able to find anything cheaper than our allowance, and on base housing always takes 100%.

      Delete